Monday, November 17, 2008

Highlights from Baby Shower # 1!



This weekend, I had my first baby shower! My mom and sister-in-law went all out to throw the girls and me an absolutely beautiful party. I was so touched by all the work that my sister-in-law and my mom (and the countless kind friends she roped in to help!) did to make this day so special. My mom even included personalized pink and white M&M's with the girls' names on them and a video montage she created with pics of us and the girls set to music from the African Children's Choir and the "Baby Mine" song from Dumbo (total tear-jerker!). I enjoyed celebrating our coming adoption with some of my dearest friends from high school and college (two of whom also have two adopted children) as well as my sweet grandma and my mother-in-law, who flew in for the shower from out of state! My mother-in-law also brought with her the first of the two quilts she is making for the girls. It's the cutest thing you have ever seen!

We spent the lovely afternoon noshing on coconut cupcakes, playing games about celebrity moms and babies (why do we know so much about these people?) and opening up oodles of presents for the little ladies. One of the most fun presents was a pair of pink t-shirts that read "Ethiopian Princess". Thanks to Alison, one of my adoptive mom friends, who picked these up from Cafe Press! We also got our two carseats from my grandparents - a true blessing given how expensive those suckers are! My grandparents had also ordered, with my mom's help, a personalized wooden puzzle of Ethiopia with the girls' names on it. What a special gift!

It was hard to even know how to respond to so much love and generosity poured out not only for us, but for our children. A verse written in one of the cards I received is fitting when considering what I have seen through this process: "But he lifted the needy out of their affliction and increased their families like flocks...whoever is wise, let him heed these things and consider the great love of the Lord" (Psalm 107:41,43). Seeing such an outpouring of support from these dear women served to remind me - again - of the great love of God made manifest to us as we love each other.

When we got home from the shower, Davis and I had fun unpacking - and playing with - some of the girls' new toys. We hope they won't mind. A definite highlight was getting their little table and chairs put together and staging a tea party with the dog.

9 comments:

Heath Family said...

It was so fun to shower you and your little girls with love! Your mom and sis-in-law did an amazing job! Can't wait to meet Eden and Junia!

Renee said...

Showers are the best...it really helps you to start to feel like you're finally going to be a mom!

FRANSZTASTIC said...

I loved coming to your shower...Ella too! You were given so many wonderful necessities, and then some! It was so beautiful ~ I loved all the little beautiful details. I agree with Jo, I can't wait to meet your daughters.

Sparkz said...

I love the tea party with the dog!!! Sounds like you got lots of nice gifts for the girls and creative ones at that! Thanks for calling! I was so sick for a few days that I didn't really move!

Christina said...

glad you had a fun shower! i just spent an hour surfing cafe press. thanks for sharing!

Lora said...

You, Davis and the girls are truly blessed. Your mom and sister-in-law did a beautiful job. It will be hard for the rest of us to compete with your other showers. Love the tea party picture with Davis & Petey. Priceless!

Sparkz said...

I just got to see the picts. today (have to use the comp. at work b/c my home one is dial up and they won't load). They are great! It looks like it was a really nice shower! I love the quilts. I figured they were nice but when I saw the picture- they are beautiful!!! I love the towels too! Fun stuff!

Jebena said...

Ooooh, I wish I was invited...as pretty as your Mom and sister-in-law set everything up, I know you all had a "delicious" time.

Anonymous said...

I love all the pictures! it looks so beautiful. your family did such a great job!! WOW!! i am so bummed I wasn't able to make it!