Tuesday, March 24, 2009

In Process - Part Deux


I've decided that if I can blog in little chunks, 10 minutes at time, I may actually get to tell you the story of our Ethiopian adventure and update you on the little ladies. Anything more than 10 minutes starts to seem unrealistic at this point! In each post, you'll get two nuggets - one from our Ethiopian adventure and one from "Yuppie Goes Mama". So, here goes.

Ethiopian Adventure Nugget: Our trip started off with a phone call from our travel agent as we were boarding the plane to London. It turned out that the travel agent had booked our flights in error and had us leaving from London to Addis on the same day we were leaving from LA to London. Oops. Given that our mountain of luggage was already on the plane, we had no choice but to fly to London with no idea of how we were going to get to Addis or what we were going to do in London when we got there. When we finally got to London, our travel agent was MIA. We tried calling him a million times but because of the time change he didn't answer. This then forced us into our very own episode of The Amazing Race as we hoofed it around Heathrow airport pushing the Luggage Mountain trying to find another flight to Addis. If we delayed our trip (the agent had casually mentioned that we just "hang out" in London for a few days and make the best of it until he got things worked out ... yeah, great idea given that we didn't even have jackets packed!), we risked not meeting Eden's birthmother which was the main reason we left early for Ethiopia in the first place. Missing our meeting with her was a totally unacceptable alternative. Hence, the amazing race. We finally booked ourselves on a flight via Brussels and arrived just one day later than we had planned. The additional flight cost us $2000 which was the amount we had saved by booking half of our trip with frequent flyer miles (it took days to put that together!). This extra financial expenditure was a total bummer and we are doubtful that the travel agent will give us any of our money back. However, that extra flight allowed us to have an absolutely PRICELESS day with Eden's birthfamily. We called it the $2000 day. More to come on that...

Yuppie Goes Mama: The girls are doing surprisingly well. They are very at home and are clearly becoming sisters. Junia is notorious for stealing Eden's sippy cup. I was pleased to see today that Eden stole Junia's snack cup. I wanted to high five her. It was about time for Little Bear box out with Big Bear. Speaking of high fives, Davis has already taught the girls "gimme high five" as well as "gimme knuckles (a la Obamas)" and "gimme 'bow (elbow)". It's pretty hilarious. They are both very extroverted and seem very connected to us which is a blessing. I carried Junia through a crowded mall last weekend and she waved at all the random people we passed saying "Ciao" and "Bye Bye". We're hoping it's not a bad sign that they like people so much. We've heard we may need to limit their contact with others for bonding sake but they seem to clearly understand who Mommy and Daddy (especially Daddy...they LOOOOVE their Daddy) are. It just seems that they are very social. Junia is also very smart and is learning English very quickly.

Mommy and Daddy are doing ok too. This has been a HUGE adjustment and last week I had an absolute breakdown wondering what we had done. But what a difference a week makes! We are slowly figuring out our new routine and the girls are learning boundaries that we hope will give them security. It's a major life change though, particularly for a two parent working family who has no other children. Going from zero kiddos to two toddlers can prove to be interesting (or to use my other favorite word of late - gnarly). Our biggest hurdles right now are figuring out how to make sure Mommy has time to get her work done (this is even harder when I'm trying to work from home) and how to see that the poor dog feels some inkling of love in a given day. The girls aren't wild about him so our first "child" finds himself banished more often than not. This makes me feel horribly guilty. We're hoping all three members of our little brood will make peace soon. I'm also not sure if I will ever get used to the staring and the random comments. I try to be gracious but it really bugs me. Davis thinks I need to get a t-shirt to wear out that says "What?! My children are black?" (as if this was a surprise to me). I know people are just curious but when you are just trying to eat your burrito in peace (the girls LOVE Mexican food - true Californians!), it gets really old. So my kids are a different color than me. They are still cuter than yours so you eat your burrito and I'll eat mine. More rants on that later.

We are really grateful that our transition is going so well. Things take SOOOO much longer than they used to but little by little we are adjusting to life with the little ladies. This picture is from our first Sunday back at church. The ladies had been home exactly one week at that point!

10 minutes are up. More to come when I find another 10 minutes...

21 comments:

The Stachurskis said...

Your trip was definitely an adventure to say the least! I'm glad to hear that the transition with the little ladies is going great for you. The stares will always happen, unfortunately our society isn't very accepting at times. I like Davis' idea for the shirt! You four will continue to be in our prayers and I look forward to your next post!

graceling said...

Re: obtrusive comments...

John and I have started telling people that Anna is black because of a combination of recessive genes that we carry that resulted in a black-skinned child. Abigail got the dominant genes, Anna got the recessive ones.

Dumb questions= dumb responses.

Is that a bad attitude?

Sparkz said...

I love the 2000 dollar day! Glad you got to spend time with the family. That stinks how your plane tickets went down but at least it worked out. Goodness gracious. Glad things are going well with your girls and they are adjusting. Big adjustments.

I had to laugh out loud when I read the my daughters are black stop staring. I know we'll have problems with that too. People already look at me like something is werid when I tell them were adopting from Ethioipia

Christy and Drew said...

What an advanture. I am glad to hear the girls are adjusting and that you and Davis are able to keep your heads on straight. Your whole lives changed overnight - hang in there, I am sure it can only get better! Thanks for the update... I look forward to the next 10 min!

Debi said...

Sarah and Davis,
Awesome update. I loved the picture. You make a beautiful family.
I am so glad that your little ladies are adjusting well. As far as the stares and comments, it's hard to know why. I just pray for the day when it would not happen, and they would be accepted for who they are in their hearts. Maybe they are jelous because they are just so beautiful. I liked Davis's T shirt idea.
I pray that God would guide you each day as you raise up these little ones.
Love and hugs and prayers,
Debi

Jen said...

Thank you for your honesty. As someone who will be bringing home a 2 1/2y old (God willing), it is important that I have realistic expectations. You have a great attitude ($2000 day). Look forward to your next 10min :)

Unknown said...

Hi Sarah! I've worn out my computer clicking on to see if you've updated yet! yaa! oh my they are gorgeous you all have the same smile like...life has so changed for all 4 of you but it's soooooo good! Oh i laughed too with the whole eat your burrito. my two adopted kids aren't black, one is actually half hispanic but looks the most like me. i have answered questions back not with the best attitude at times and then sometimes i think i explain way too much, these are my babies that's all i need to say! looking forward to hearing more of your journey, we hope to make a trip to ventura soon. take care!

Unknown said...

Hi Sarah! I've worn out my computer clicking on to see if you've updated yet! yaa! oh my they are gorgeous you all have the same smile like...life has so changed for all 4 of you but it's soooooo good! Oh i laughed too with the whole eat your burrito. my two adopted kids aren't black, one is actually half hispanic but looks the most like me. i have answered questions back not with the best attitude at times and then sometimes i think i explain way too much, these are my babies that's all i need to say! looking forward to hearing more of your journey, we hope to make a trip to ventura soon. take care!

lavender syrup said...

Okay, so Addie once had a shirt that said "Don't tell my parents but they don't look a thing like me."

When we're out and about, people never think to look for me if she looks like. Watch out for this one.

And, from everything I've heard about Ethiopian adoption, they do really well with the adjustment and social aspect and do bond so I think you're doing a great job and if they seem to be doing well you should be fine taking them out. Just do what feels best for your family!

Thanks for sharing. Sweet, sweet family.

Journey to Jaden said...

Your positive outlook and honesty will get you far...and what a great role model for your girls! Thanks for your update..it was real and inspiring and I am looking foward to hearing more.

Anonymous said...

I wish I could just post my big cheezy smile that is frozen on my face. All the hard stuff and waiting we are going through right now seems to fade away when I read your blog and look at your daughters beautiful faces....pure peace and joy! Blessings to you all!! Leslie & Kevin McDermott
p.s. you started out as mom and dad and things sound like they are getting on track, by week 3 you will both be super mom and super dad!! God is good!

Kimberly Baggett said...

i am not sure if i have contacted you or not (my mind and memory was apparently left in ethiopia back in september when we picked up our little ones!), but i have some PICTURES of little JUNIA! i just happened upon your blog a couple of weeks ago, watched your video and gasped when i saw her picture!! please email me at kimbo2710@aol.com so i can send them to you!!! both of your girls are just beautiful!!! congratualtions!

drbirdy50 said...

When out with your ladies, without Davis, let the people assume that Daddy is black (or the other way around if Dad is alone with girls). Where it gets funny is to watch the faces of the curious & rude folks when you're both out with them; they're only option is to think the kids are the product of recessive genes, kidnapping, or adoption--most can get the right answer but will still display their "intelligence" by asking, "Are they adopted?"
Hang in there--they are awesome and so are you and Davis!

Sparkz said...

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

Rebecca said...

Glad you got the video! It is the only thing Eli will remotely watch. Lots of dancing happens in our house when that is on!

First of all, you get a lot done in 10 minutes! I'm glad you gave us 10 minutes of your precious time. Isn't it amazing how precious that truly is now? Today during nap time I was thinking "Clean the house for our company tonight? Veg out and watch Gilmore Girls? Address Eli's announcements? Clean out the major junk drawer? Catch up on blogs?" Before I would flit about from one thing to the next. Life does change! And it has changed TWICE as much for you!

What a nightmare with the travel! I so hope your agent reimburses you for some of that. He totally should.

Can't wait to hear about the birthmother meeting!

I can't believe the comments you've received! Shame on those people. I haven't heard anything from anyone...yet. A few people have asked me if he was adopted - all people interested in adoption. That's pretty much it as of yet.

My take on the whole social thing is that they have all been very social up to this point. Right? I feel like Eli is a social butterfly. He greets everyone everywhere we go. Maybe it's because our children have been around so many children? I'm still trying to figure out if this is an attachment issue or if it's just his personality.

OK, I'm so tired I keep mixing up my words :) Off to bed...

Christina said...

Glad you are all adjusting well. What is a trip to Africa without a little adventure, right? I second that Ethiopian kids are cuter than everyone else but I am sure that we are biased. Our dog is getting left out too. We try to give him a little love when Nate goes to bed. Poor Riley!

Robin said...

I love this post..there are so many things I want to comment on, but I'll keep it short!! I laughed out loud reading the burrito encounter......How funny. Ok..not really, but I totally relate. When we first came home with Pickles, we were in Wal-Mart and this little black boy said to his mom in a shocked voice: "Mom....there's a brown baby with white Momma." After being home almost 18 months now, I barely notice the stares. You'll get to that point too....
I'm super impressed with how much you can type in 10 minutes!!!!

Laura said...

Wow, I am having a flashback reading your blog! A little over a year an a half ago we adopted at the same time a 2 1/2 year old and a 10 month old from Guatemala. Everyone looked at us like we were a little crazy before the kiddos came home and the first few weeks I thought maybe we were crazy. I know there is no way to prepare but know I am saying a prayer for you and looking at my now 2 and 4 year old, the toddler craziness of going from 0 to 2 seems very far away. Our old blog is powelladoption.blogspot.com. Blessings and the routine will come!

Sara said...

Welcome home. Your family picture is lovely.

Farmboy and Buttercup said...

Love the post. Love the honesty.

Yes, it is "gnarly" at first. But it gets REALLY good.

So glad you got to see the birth family. Yes, priceless (or about $2000).

Take care!

Unknown said...

What a treat to read about your trip and girls! They are so adorable! It's refreshing to hear that even a super woman like you breaks down every once in a while:-) Been there! Can't wait to hear more. I am impressed that you even had time to write what you did. It's been 2+ years since Ike came home and I'm still trying to find balance with work and family. You just learn new ways everyday. Congrats again! Hope to meet those ladies sometime soon!