Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Daring Rescue



No the grandparents aren't back in town and I really don't have time to blog. This story, however, is just so good that I had to find the time to chronicle this latest adventure in Mamaland. Today, I was giving the girls a bath and took off my wedding ring as I often do before I shower. During the bath, Junia, who is prone to all things dramatic, got a tiny bit of soap in her right eye and all hell broke loose. I had to pull her out of the tub to calm her down even after I had washed her eye out many many times. I then had to pull the Little Bear out too even though her bath wasn't really done because I couldn't leave her in there alone while I dressed the Big Bear. That's not the end of this blog-worthy story though.

After dinner, we were getting the girls ready for bed. Davis was dealing with the potty business while I turned down beds, made the bottle, etc. From the bathroom, Davis called me and said "I think I know what your next blog post is about..." Davis happened to do a poop check when Big Bear got finished doing her thing (why he did this, we don't know ... he normally doesn't do this). Underneath a nice big poopie was something very sparkly. That struck my very observant husband as a bit odd. He asked me if I had anything sparkly that was missing. It was at that point that I had a "Oh #@!$" (literally and figuratively) moment as I looked at my naked left hand.

My wonderful husband then turned the toddler teeth brushing over to me (also quite a challenge) and proceeded to pilfer the garage for suitable tools to play "Go Fish" for diamonds in a pond of Baby Ruths. He triumphed victoriously thanks to a thin dowel rod he found. He managed to fish the ring out without having to actually touch the poopie. He also cleaned and disinfected my ring before giving me the spoils from his valiant toilet raid.

Did I mention that I know Little Bear has a fascination with toilets? I am constantly saying "NO TOUCH" in every restroom we find ourselves in. And yet I left my wedding ring at toddler height near an open commode. Not a smart mommy. Thanks to Superdad for the daring rescue.

11 comments:

Christy and Drew said...

Wow! I can not believe that story! What a great husband you have. Way to go Davis! :)

Tanya said...

I love your descriptive writing....what a "visual"! It cracked me up! And if you knew me, I don't crack up too easily! (BTW: Because of you I am acutely aware of how often I use the "!" in my own writing as well. C'est la vie! :)

Monica said...

Great story, Sarah and way to go Davis! I keep waiting for our first object to be dropped in the toilet. I know it's coming. Ephrem has tried a few times, but so far I've caught him in the act.

Kelly said...

that is so nasty:) But what I have learned about potty triaing, there are A LOT of nasty things that happen! You learn to roll with the punches and have a good laugh about it later:) I love getting the updates on your little girls. I hope that one day soon we can get together. Hope you guys are well.

Rebecca said...

That one takes the cake. Seriously. It's kind of funny - only because you found the ring. Can you imagine if the ring had been flushed away forever? Tragedy.

P.S. Just a warning - your cell phone is next. I caught Eli splashing in the toilet water with my cell phone in hand. Even though the toilet AND the cell phone are strictly off limits.

Ahhh. Mommyhood. :)

Zoe said...

Cute and funny! Love the visual, too.

The Stachurskis said...

I love it! Go super Dad! I can't wait to see what I find in my potty with Hunter. Should be interesting.

Neil, Amy and The Girls said...

Haha. What a great story...for you guys...please don't ever let that happen to me! So glad your hubby saw the sparkle!

Debi said...

Amazing save! Parenthood will find you doing things that you never thought you would do.
Davis, this is the first of countless times you will be called upon to be a knight in shining armor to the three women who look up to you.
Watch out for your keys!!
Love and hugs and prayers,
Debi

Farmboy and Buttercup said...

Great post, yes, it IS funny now. Glad you found it before he flushed!

Sparkz said...

Happy Mothers Day. Glad you found it, funny story! :)