Thursday, June 18, 2009

Half Mommy and Elephant Birthdays




I have "blogging" listed as one of my many "hobbies" on Facebook and yet this is the first time I have checked back here at MuchHasBeenGiven for literally a month. My friend Christy told me today that "much may have been given but much has not been written". I'm glad she even still reads this! Even the idea of multiple "hobbies" is kind of comical right now. The girls have now been home three months and my previous "spare time" continues to elude me. Hence, my lack of blogging. Because I am a ridiculous perfectionist, I now feel like I am such a "slacker blogger" that I'm anxious about trying to pick this back up again. My blogging hiatus has seriously not been for lack of desire. I've thought "Oh, I should blog about that" about a zillion times but, as you can see, there hasn't been a whole lot of fruit come out of those thoughts - primarily because those thoughts are often interrupted by "What IS that she is sticking in her mouth?!" more often than not.

The little ladies continue to thrive. The doctor told us that Junia gained the equivalent of a year's worth of weight for her age in just 2 months. She is now in the 20 percentile! Go, Big Bear! Eden too is gaining weight and is now actually on the chart at a whopping 3%. Junia's transition to English has been nothing short of remarkable and it is amazing to watch how she learns new words and grammatical conventions each day. She loves to talk and often gives us a play-by-play on everything that is going on right now and everything that has gone in the past (ex. "Eden pulled my hair three days ago"). She communicates solely in English now with the exception of the word "Daddy" which she still likes to say in Amharic. Eden is also starting to talk A LOT and we can actually understand much of what she says now. Both girls are also thriving socially and really enjoy other people. They love to play with other kids and are very affectionate. We have also been pleased to see how - with consistent practice - they are quickly gaining competency in areas where we noticed some deficiencies (climbing, running) that were probably related to very limited opportunities in their early environments. Overall, they are blossoming and we count ourselves blessed. We are of course dealing with lots of challenges too because our kids are 3 and 18 months. That alone means we are asking for trouble. We have been given hearty servings of sibling rivalry and defiant behavior in addition to the warm fuzzies - but we are surviving. We have also recently taken on potty training which has been "fun". My saving grace has been a little fuzzy red man (?) named Elmo. For whatever people say about that little guy, I will always be in his debt for the 20 minutes of QUIET that he affords me each day. He also has a sweet potty video too. Rock on, Elmo - and thanks.


We are holding our own as well. Things improve with each month that passes as we continue to settle into our routines and roles and learn more about how to actually be parents. Lately, I have been thinking a lot about my children in light of Matthew 25. I recently had a moment of "intense fellowship" with our youngest who has a strong will just like I do. My response to a screaming and defiant child more often than not is "Do you REALLY want to go there with Mommy?! BRING IT ON, GIRL!" I was reminded by the Quiet Voice that spoke under the pounding of my own pulse that she was one of "the least of these". She came to us with nothing. She needed everything. She was and is entirely vulnerable. And in that way she was - and is - Jesus to us. Putting your parenting in that perspective forces you to examine and evaluate much of what you say - and do.

So I've been doing a lot of questioning. I think every new mom does that. You already wonder if you are completely inept as a mother because so many things are beyond your expertise and totally out of your control but being an adoptive mother in a transracial family adds an additional level of evaluation to EVERYTHING you do. I have slowly come to just accept that random people will always be looking at - and talking to - me and my family. This continues to be stretching for me as a more private person and I am praying that God will shape my heart so that I can be more gracious. I have also become more confident with using humor to deflect the truly ridiculous or invasive comments and that to me is empowering (like when I recently told the woman who asked me rather incredulously when I was in line at a store with my two squirmy toddlers if the girls were "mine" that I had found them outside in a shopping cart). I have also found that having a "plan" for how I will answer certain invasive questions is helpful. That way I can be gracious and yet still quickly put an end to questions that are becoming inappropriately intrusive. This is going to to become even more important as the girls get older. We got into Ethiopian adoption because we feel passionately and urgently about the need for action to address the global orphan crisis. We want to see orphans find forever families and our own family story may serve in a small way toward that end. But as an adoptive family of two very young children the tension is balancing those Big Picture goals with the need to not always feel like a poster family for international adoption. This is particularly challenging when you are out and about with two toddlers in tow. What I find difficult is that people are already looking at you for various reasons so when your toddler has what would be just a normal - albeit embarrassing meltdown - in a public place you add to the embarrassment you are already feeling the anxiety of life under a magnifying glass. You wonder - or at least I wonder - if people are thinking I'm not really qualified to be a mom because these are obviously not my birth children. It's a strange feeling, almost as if you feel like you have to prove to everyone that you are legit because you didn't actually give birth to your children (this is exacerbated by people who talk about what it is like when you have "your own" - as if adoptive families somehow don't share in that). Sometimes I feel like a "Half Mommy" who needs to justify to the world that she really is a "real mom". Maybe other adoptive moms deal with that - I don't know. I just often feel like I have to try twice as hard because everyone is looking at me and judging me all the time. For me, I've had to just be ok with the fact that no matter what the random lady in line thinks, when my daughter manages to fall out of bed and land on her head, as she did in the middle of the night last night, the one she is screaming for is me - Half Mommy or not - and that needs to be good enough.

Our most recent family highlight was celebrating JuneBug's 3rd birthday with an elephant birthday party. It was a great day for our Big Girl as we celebrated with special friends and family. Highlights included jolly jumping, playing pin the tail on the elephant, decorating elephant cookies and getting a new trike from Grandma and Grandpa and a new wagon for the beach from Uncle Larry and Aunt Kim. We hope you enjoy the pics! Also included are a few fun ones from daily life in our little family and our favorite picture from our recent family photo shoot on the beach - more on that to come!

17 comments:

Jena said...

Thanks for being so honest!! You just hang in there. God is pleased with you for taking this step of adoption and people are just going to be unloving in a lot of ways. I have found that not only as a Mommy, no matter what color of skin your kids have, and also a Pastors wife. People like to judge my kids for being Pastor's kids when really they are just like any other kids!! I will be praying for you. We go to get our little one soon!!

Casey Martinez said...

I loved looking at the pictures of Junia's BD on facebook:0 That was the cutest BD ever!! I enjoyed reading about how mommy hood is teaching you so many things. Always love the updates!!

Christy and Drew said...

I love hearing all about your life. The blessings and the reality of being a mom. You are so inspiring! I love the family picture.

Meggan Lambesis said...

I truly appreciate your honesty and can whole-heartedly relate to everything you've written. My hope is that if our lives are under a microscope, maybe the remarkable things our children do will be magnified as well. Thanks for the update---look forward to hearing more!

Cassie said...

So happy to finally get an update! Please don't feel pressured to blog, but know that there are many supportive friends who thoroughly enjoy it when you do. You are just so good with the words. ;)
I totally get the "poster family" dilemma. Even though it's a very challenging place to be, I think you are reluctantly carrying the banner with grace, and I have learned so much from you all. This blog has opened my eyes in so many ways. Keep it up. My admiration for you only continues to grow.
Oh, and by the way... kudos on the party Martha Stewart!

Tanya said...

I love your candor. I have a lot to learn as an adoptive mom. Thank you for "putting it out there". We can ban together as a united front for the world to see that families don't have to be "cookie cutter" vanilla. We can be a swirl and still be FABULOUS! Keep up the great work, mom!

Christina said...

love the new photos on your blog! yes, i am just as tired as you. although i imagine you are more tired since you have 2 kids and i only have 1. i am brain-dead by 8pm every day. it is sad, but it is so worth it! we are having a blast with nate and loving every minute with him.
the girls look so beautiful! they change and grow so quickly, huh?

Anonymous said...

How gracious you are to have saved those little shopping cart children! What a hilarious comeback! Love, Steph

Debi said...

Hi Sarah and Davis,
Thanks for the update and your honest heart. I loved the new photos.
The joy in your daughter's eyes, growth and development and security is evidence that you are doing a fantastic job as parents. You are so 100% their parents.
I don't think that any parent feels totally adequate for the job. There will always be critics, usually those who have never been there themselves.
All that needs to be said to the intrusive is "Yes, they are my daughters and I am so proud of them." They are truly beautiful on the outside and inside.
Praying God's love and grace and wisdom over you.

Love and hugs and prayers,
Debi

Debi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Debi said...

P.S. June Bugs party looked amazing!!
Debi

beemadeneu said...

First: Love love love the beach fam. photos!
Second: so glad you found time to blog again:)

Ps ( I often get embarrassed in public too when my kids are misbehaving, it always feels like 1000's of judgmental eyes are staring down like "whatcha going do about it ?" )

Lora said...

Giving birth to a child does not make you a Mom.......loving and caring for them makes you a Mom.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back to blogging and glad you're back!

I love what you write about motherhood and adoption because I feel like you guys are about a year ahead of us and it's really inspiring to read your reflections. Thanks for your honesty and sharing the challenges and questions as well as the joys.
It's also inspiring to read about how well the girls are doing!

A good friend -- a very capable mother of six bio kids - recently told me that parenting is just hard much of the time... no script to follow. She gets stares and judgmental comments for having such a large family. I think anything out of the "two bio kid" category gets extra attention these days. But it's a great example for children to see their parents handling it with the grace, strength, humor and sometimes a few kick-ass comebacks.

Zoe

Rebecca said...

Glad my blogging buddy is back!

Happy, happy birthday to Junia! Love all the pics. Can't wait to see all of them from the beach shoot!

bekah said...

Sarah, I read this post a few days ago and came back to post a comment because I keep thinking it. I appreciate your honesty so much. I'm a mom of two biological daughters (2 & 4) and I struggle with similar feelings in public. Even though I'm not an adoptive mom (yet), I feel expectations from society. The mom world is such a surreal place. We get sucked into days of tantrums, messes, loudness, and all sorts of things we aren't prepared for. These are the days when the outside world doesn't get it. They aren't able to know our complete stories or see all the preciousness that happens during the rest of the time. I want to encourage you to be strong to yourself in those hard moments. Tell yourself you're doing a great job (because you are) and remember you don't owe explainations to others unless you feel like it.

Rebecca said...

Thank you for sharing your daughters with us. They are so precious and it is so wonderful to learn more about them. You have lovely daughters!!!
This is a really powerful post. I sometimes feel a bit consumed with the doubt. Will I be able to do this? How will I be able to do this? Will my child resent me? These are feelings all mothers feel but there is an added sting with becoming an adoptive mother. I want to believe that I will be enough of a mother- the best mother. But I know the doubt will seep in and that the added stress of being outside of a "traditional" familial paradigm will make this even more difficult.
Generally, I feel like I can say
"I don't care what people think". However, this is not the case with parenting. I am protective. I am scared. I don't want to be doubted by others or judged by others because I don't want the validity of my family to be in question. I think that's the crux of the situation.
You are already dealing with such intense transistions and it would be so much easier if the rest of the world was "the village" that would just see families.
I am not naive enough to think that this is where we are as a society. I think that we will always be poster families. But hopefully as time goes on and as the family grows the poster won't always just be international and transracial adoption. Hopefully, it will be "most wonderfully giving family" or "wow- super creative family".
There is so much to learn. Since you have been home, you have been so honest and forthcoming with your experiences and your feelings. I truly appreciate this because it really helps to prepare me for the challenges I will face when I am finally lucky enough to be "mommy".