Friday, June 11, 2010

One Fabulous Day Turning Four



I am finally getting around to posting pictures from Junia's big birthday bash. I'm not posting these to be one of those braggy bloggers who use their blogs to self-aggrandize. Seriously, I'm not. However, if I'm honest, I will admit that I secretly have fantasies of having one of my parties show up in Sunset magazine. I really love to throw parties. I am one of those dorky people who spends time before a party shooting pictures of place settings, flowers in vases and food on trays knowing no one will ever look at the pics but me. I guess I keep thinking someday Sunset may just hear about what I'm up to and call. We were lucky enough to have our friend Raya, who also happens to be a professional wedding photographer, bring her camera along to Junia's party. She shot over 500 images and got some really amazing Sunset-esque pictures of our fabulous day. I just couldn't resist sharing. Highlights of the day included taking rides on Smoky and Holly (two miniature ponies who joined us for the big day), eating way too many cupcakes, and trying out hula hoops for the first time. Another highlight was having all of the dads in the horse-shaped bounce house. Nevermind that their combined weight of nearly 800 pounds almost knocked the entire thing over and gave the Mamas a bit of a scare. Eden was ecstatic about the horses. We wonder if she is going to be a veterinarian given how much she loves animals. And Junia just beamed when her entourage of little besties from church gathered round to sing her Happy Birthday. Sadly, we ended up with a false start on the big song when I lit the cowboy boot decoration on fire along with the candle. Those stickers are apparently not flame retardant! All in all, it was a lovely day celebrating a lovely girl who has changed our world forever.

I was talking with another adoptive mom at the party about how things like birthday parties are different when you have adopted kids, especially ones with history like ours. We have little girls who by God's grace are now thriving. But that was not always the case. Our daughters are precious girls whose lives have literally been redeemed on a physical level. Not so long ago they were very sick, very thin and hungry and now they are dressed up in cowgirl boots riding ponies in their backyard and eating too many cupcakes. Yes, so many (far too many) more orphans remain but for these two little girls - orphans no more - theirs is a story of new life blooming. It reminds me a bit of the story of Lazarus brought back to life after so much sadness. When God redeems a life, you celebrate. And celebrate we did. God has lavished His love on our children and in that we rejoice.

10 comments:

We Are Family said...

AWESOME! Very well done.

Casey Martinez said...

I'm a dork too then because I love what you love:) Love throwing parties, love decorating for them and LOVE taking pictures of all the cute details before hand to document the festivities. I don't think that's dorky though...I think it's talented and I think your party was super cute and SHOULD be feature in Sunset magazine or HGTV!! Great job!! I always wanted to do a horsey themed party for my little girl too:) cute!

Debi said...

Awesome!! It looks like you had a famtastic day!

Kelly said...

what a beautiful party!! I know who I am coming to next time I need to plan a party!! ;)

Zoe said...

Well, you SHOULD be in Sunset magazine, or any magazine for that matter with parties like that! It all looks fabulous! It's a special talent, to throw and host beautiful events and have such creativity and an eye for detail. Looks like Big Bear had a fantastic day! The pictures are beautiful.

Just Believing said...

AMAZING! I am so glad you posted this today because I was just going to email you because Winni's adoption party will be a cowgril western theme! So now I finally have some more ideas ;)

I figured with us moving to TX and celebrating that she is almost official western would be a great idea!

I still might email you as to where you got some of the stuff hope you don't mind ;)

Raya Carlisle said...

Well, my fantasy is that everything in my life belongs in the glossies so of course I cannot help myself when at a party like this. You are obviously talented and have a gift - glad I was able to capture it and perhaps, one of us will make it into Sunset someday. We just have to promise to invite the other one over for the shoot okay?

Anonymous said...

beautiful! you are so good at parties and organizing and making things fun! and you are so right about birthdays! I think that about my Danny too--how much God protected him--how far he's come!

FRANSZTASTIC said...

just beautiful...LOVE all the attention to detail...just precious. happy bday junia the big 4 :)

Angel said...

Your PRECIOUS girls are just BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!