Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Scary Stuff

Today I took dinner to a dear friend who just had a baby two weeks ago. When I asked her how things were going my very together and usually very balanced friend began to cry as she talked about how all she did was feed the baby...all the time. She said she never expected having a baby to take away so much of her freedom. This was not the first time that I had heard a new mom share this frustration. However, to hear it from such a close friend as I held her very cute but very squirmy little girl in my arms made the situation far more real to me. This has gotten me thinking about things that help to make my life sane. Here they are (in no particular order):

1. Getting enough sleep
2. Exercising daily
3. Having a tidy home (this includes vacuuming up dog hair on a regular basis!)
4. Having my schedule under control so that things get done (checking items off my list is particularly gratifying to me)
5. Having some quiet time to wind down before heading off to bed

I'm sure that some of the moms out there are probably rolling on the floor laughing by now at my "tightly run ship" but I am serious. I am also serious in saying that I am realizing that everything that makes my life sane is going to be seriously threatened by these little ones. I find that a bit terrifying. I know God will provide the strength I need but the idea of trying to pull all this off knowing how HARD being a mom can be is sobering. I can't help but think about how Sarah Palin's nomination has brought the whole issue of being a working mom into the spotlight. I'm not sure if Palin is a role model or a myth. Maybe the idea of her is a bit of both. She is, it would seem, the "supermom" many of us hope we can be. I would like to think that I will be able to care for my children, manage my career, stay fit, be involved in my community, have a hot husband (this is already taken care of!), etc. etc. etc. Frankly though, I'm just not sure if that is even possible as a working mom. I guess I'll give it a go and let you know how it goes. I just can't help but think of how exhausted that woman must be - all the time. I wonder what her list of "sane things" looks like. Does she vacuum up dog hair?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah, you are going to be an awesome mom. While some of the priorities on your current list may shift, that's not a bad thing, because what is causing that shift? New exciting priorities! You will find that your life, though exhausing and more complicated, grows in richness and dependency on the Lord. Crying and sleeplessness eventually pass. Exercise becomes kid-based. Housecleaning becomes future dorm preparation lessons, And besides...you have to add scrapbooking to that list! God is shaping us in ways we appreciate and dread; great fruit is the result! (Dan would prefer fruit snacks.) Love, Steph

Brandi said...

Yes, life will change. . .but you'll still seem to stay sane! My clean house just comes while the kids are sleeping. . and exercise SUPER early in the morning. . .and regularly scheduled girls nights out!

It does take a while to get a handle on the new schedule though. . . hug your friend for us too and tell her that the enemy is lying to her, she CAN handle this with Jesus and it WILL get better!

Love,
Brandi

Anonymous said...

Everytime we've added a kid its been a tough transition. Its just HARD to lay yourself aside, to let go of your wants/needs, to give up 'the way it used to be' and find a new normal. BUT i feel like my children have been soooo refining in my character. And I know your children will do the same for you. Very soon you will find your new rhythm! I'm excited for you!

JoyWilson said...

Most of my staying sane things are and have been the same as yours, I almost always do them all. The key for women like us is to let it go and not beat ourselves up when it doesn't all happen. It has been a 10 year long lesson for me Sarah, be a quicker learner than your friend Joy and you will have peace & sanity.

Anonymous said...

Little ones bring on new challenges and priorities. One of the more difficult challenges is maintaining a personal space without feeling guilty or obligated to sacrifice all that you know now for the children. Yes, your schedule will be full and you will have to push for personal time but in the long run it will be worth it and leave you more refreshed to handle the daily challenges presented by your new responsibilities. Additionally, I encourage you and Davis to remember time for just the two of you. "You all" started with just you two, it will be enriched by adding children, and once again it will be you two watching with pride as your children venture into their world. God bless.