Wednesday, October 15, 2008

"Microwave Kiddos"






Well, I did it. I had my first "pre-mom" (this is my substitute word for an adoptive "pregnancy") M E L T D O W N last night. I feel like I am living inside of tornado trying to get everything in order for these little beauties. I can't help but think that what I am really dealing with here are "microwave kiddos" because they are ready so fast. In a pregnancy, I would have more than 3 months for appropriate "nesting insanity" because babies need 9 months in mama's oven to cook. Not so for adoptive moms - as I've said in previous posts this makes for lots of excitement but also a fair bit of exhaustion/confusion/exasperation.

It's just S O O O O much by way of "resource procurement". I have been spending every night after work staring bleary-eyed at the Target and Amazon websites (where we also now have registries) trying to answer questions like these:

1.) Which toddler plates are best (did you know toddler plates have suction cups on the bottom?) and don't have the dreaded BPA in them? I'm not completely sure what BPA is but Amazon reviewers say it's BAAAAD.

2.) Can I handle being uber-yuppie-I-live-in-heels-turned-mom-of-TWO-hanging-out-all-day-with-the-little-ladies and deal with cloth diapers? I'm just not sure I can handle adding to the newness of changing diapers AT ALL the newness of scooping poopie from the diapers into the toilet and then washing the poopie diapers in the same washing machine where I will wash my clothes, bed linens, etc. However, if I use disposable diapers the socially-conscious-activist part of me will feel very guilty and a bit lazy. What to do?!

3.) I could drone on here but the list is endless and I'm just making myself tired writing about it.

So the project continues. One thing that I have been trying to focus on this week is inviting God to be a part of even the littlest details of this process. I often forget that God really does care about every aspect of our lives and He longs to be gracious and show us compassion (Isaiah 30:18). So I'm praying about the little things - even about those disposable diapers!

There have also been some wonderful bright spots this week. It's amazing how God knows what we need when we need it. Early this week, I had a sweet woman at work (who I hardly even know!) bring me flowers to celebrate our referral. It was touching how this woman took the time to "see" me in my situation and show kindess. What a great lesson for those of us like me who are often in overdrive and need to slow down to take the time to notice the needs of those around us. A bit later in the week, one of my dear friends gave me a lead on darling store with great sales on kids' clothes. Check out Naartjie for some great fun and funky clothes for little ones. I stopped by yesterday and came home with a whole BAG of stuff for a very reasonable price. It was really fun picking out clothes and imagining the girls running around the park together in their stylish duds! The sweet little pink and green set above is for Baby E.

I continue to be amazed by just how much moms know. I thought that I was a fairly intelligent person prior to getting knee-deep in this process. What I have learned in very short order is that 1. I really know nothing and 2. my mom friends possess detailed and specific knowledge about things I have never even thought about! I'm still wondering how I can get a copy of the secret manual on must-know mom stuff that they must all have copies of stashed away. For now, I have been the humble and grateful recipient of a treasure chest of mom wisdom. I can only hope that I can give back to another frazzled novice mom like me someday.

Another surprise blessing this week was getting invited to a birthday party this weekend by a former student of mine who is from Ethiopia! His son is turning two and he invited us to join his family for Ethiopian food and the opportunity to meet other Ethiopians in our community. We are so excited! I also mentioned that we were having trouble learning Amharic and he offered to teach us. As I said, what a blessing.

The last point of great joy this week was seeing how adoption as a concept can spread. It reminds me of the runners that strawberry plants shoot out. I have had four different people express interest in adoption after hearing our story. That is a dream come true for an adoptive family. I think what it really takes is for people to actually see someone who is doing it so they know it is possible. We had both neighbors and friends that served as role models and inspirations to us of what an adoptive family could look like. What an honor to now play that role in the lives of others. The sad fact of adoption is that for every one child that gets a home and family, so many remain as orphans - often alone, sick and living in poverty. I feel it is our duty to commit ourselves not only to our own children but to helping the millions of children that will remain in Ethiopia. On that note, please check out these three great blog posts from a couple that is working with Children's Hopechest in Ethiopia. Tell anyone and everyone you know about these beautiful children that need homes.

11 comments:

Lisa and Peter said...

What an exciting time! I say use cloth diapers -- and send them out to a laundry service! : - )

Mari said...

Sarah, Let me just say that you and Davis are going to be fantastic parents.....this may sound cliche but.try not to sweat over every small detail because that is sort of what you have to learn once you have kiddos! :o) I can help you with the cloth diapers...I used them for all 3 of my kids and you DO get used to scrapping poop off of them and washing them in the same machine as all your other stuff :o) Its all clean in the end....diaper service is AWESOME if you can afford it.
I also want you feel free to call on me to babysit or help you out in any way! I am so excited for you guys!

beemadeneu said...

We -moms that is- don't have a secret book- we learn what we know by other moms who have been there before us and mostly from expeirence of trial and error and figuring out what works best for you and your family. As far as toddler plates well the biggest thing to ask is, can you use it in the microwave and can it go in the dishwasher? For diapers vs cloth that is a personal choice but I personally take SANITY at the diaper stage over environment. (sorry environment)And beleive me I am all about environment and getting rid of toxins in the home. But keep in mind you are going to be a new mom of not one but 2! So,little things that are more convient for you and your ability to stay sane as a mother just do them and don't feel quilty it is only a small time frame.
You are going to be a great mother!You already are!!!

coffeemom said...

First, congratulations!! Next: don't worry too much! You will, at warp speed, become the tip top expert ON THESE KIDDOS. Maybe not the expert on all things mom ever, but the expert on these two and their needs, the expressions, what works what doesn't. It happens before you know it, really. Not that you won't ever stand there staring at them thinking, "ok, I got nuthin...clueless as to what you want" (I mean: toddlers! Teens! in betweens, sheesh!) But honestly, those times are pretty few and far between. I promise. No other mom will know what that squint combined this half grunt and foot tap will mean, but you will! That's power honey!

As for diapers. The cloth are so cool, a service would be grand, but they are not so gross and so much nicer and really easy. I've done both. It's not like your scraping w/ fingernails...it's a dump and maybe a dunk and drop in a bag and drop in a load of washer (seperate, diapers only) and do a diaper rinse (or seperate rinse) another wash in HOT and then dry em. Done. Amazingly clean. Rarely even stained. No big deal.

But then again, sanity and confidence is never overrated. So do what works for you. Ever. Period. Cause there's always gonna be someone who disagrees or disapproves and so you won't please everyone anyhow. So make it work for you!

You're gonna do grand!

Anonymous said...

Hey Girl!
Let me start with, your post made even me exhausted :) I love you!!

You are going to be an awesome mom and dad to the most blessed little girls. I can't wait to meet them!

Talk to other moms as much as you can. I am amazed at the things I have learned from other moms. Try to get signed up for MOPS. As funny as it might sound... it could really be an amazing place to get connected. I couldn't believe how many ladies at my table during my last year had adoptive babies or kiddos with unique challanges- you could loop in with all sorts of resources and good buddies!

btw... i love naajarte! now i'm trying to think of anything else i haven't told you!

Christy and Drew said...

Sarah! You really have given so much light around adoption to more people than you know. Drew and I have been talking about adopting one day, and we have another friend who is having a difficult time having one of thier own. I have been sharing your story and it has given so much inspiration to everyone who hears it. Thank you for sharing so honestly about your expereince and allowing us to see how wonderful it truly is! I can't wait to meet the girls. I am going to have to plan a trip out to SB just to meet them! :) Love you guys!

Erica said...

OOOOOOO Naartjie! That was my FAVORITE brand for my youngest bebe girl. Love it!

FRANSZTASTIC said...

i just learned about BPA and felt like a bad mommy when i was sitting around a MOPS table & didn't know what it was...i've since changed my bottles, but am confident that ella will be okay from the few times i fed her with a non-bpa free bottles... oh well. i gotta say, more power to you if you choose to use cloth diapers! even being a full time mom now, i still wouldn't have the time to deal with them...i love the disposable...i am finding other ways to be "green"...you gotta choose your battles, esp. around little ones, esp. two! i'd rather be spending that time on the floor with ella building blocks & teaching her how to crawl & pet the kitty nicely than be cleaning the very green (not the environmental kind of green) poop off a cloth diapers...not to mention you go through a minimum of 10 diapers a day (that's prob. a little less for you b/c they're a little older) but still there's two girls...don't stress sarah! you are going to male the right decisions for you & davis and your daughters!

Christina said...

looks like you are having a fun time shopping! me too. it is one thing that keeps me close to our boy even though we are really far away. we talked to our caseworker today and she said to estimate travel at the end of dec at best. more realistically in jan. ughhh! just wanted to vent to someone in my same shoes!

Unknown said...

Hi Sarah,
Just catching up on your blog as we have been out of town at Disney. Yes, you will cave some day and go for the sake of your kids!! =) That and start driving a minivan. I know I always said NEVER...but I love it! Anyway, I am glad you got the scoop on Naartjie. Such great stuff. Also, as far as the diaper thing and frankly everything else...do what works for you and your family. Don't become a victim of "mommy guilt." It isn't worth it. Good luck to you friend! Just have fun through this process and enjoy. Journal everything, you will be glad you did.
Love, Khirsten

Sparkz said...

By the way, if this is a picture of your house it is beautiful. Also I love what you wrote b/c I can really relate. David and I had a HUGE problem one day b/c we like to be preparied and knew that we'd have to buy in advance to afford things. So that is what we've done and bought a crib before this process started and since then we've bought stuff little by little the baby will need. We were trying to look for bottles & car seats one day... Oh my. Finding colors that were good for a boy or a girl was okay, but we had NO clue what we were looking for in quality etc. It is so true. Adoption is so different from HAVING a baby and we draw the short straw a lot of times trying to get ready for our babies. We have decided to wait for our referral and hopefully we'll get a baby shower for a few things (someone else can pick out our carseat ;). I would LOVE to know if we are getting a boy or girl already. It would make things MUCH easier. Plus the TONS of other things there are that we are STILL usure of...