Saturday, January 24, 2009

Be Not Afraid



We saw Slumdog Millionaire this weekend. If you haven't seen it, it's an absolutely beautiful film and that tells the story of the lives of two orphan boys who grow up to make very different choices. There is a scene in the movie where a group of young orphan children is shown living in a city dump. They are then "rescued" by a less than noble man who uses them for his own ends. That part of the film is almost unbearable to watch - in part because in this case art is truly imitating life.

I have been thinking a lot lately about how easily distracted we are as human beings. Recently someone who read by last blog post commented that she thought I had "lost my focus" on what was most important in this entire situation. She was right. That's a big part of why I wrote what I did. I think that we need to be transparent with one another as we journey together and take on the work of the Kingdom. I've tripped and stumbled at various points in this process and it was important for me to share that. It's easy to romanticize anything - and adoption, the entire process of adoption, is no exception. Adoption is going be a great joy, of that I am sure. But, it will also be a lot of work and a work that will require the sacrifice of self. I was recently reading a great translation of Luke 10:27 that says, "Love the Lord your God with all your passion and prayer and muscle and intelligence. " You sense in the way the verse is translated that loving God is an active experience - one that requires us to press on with everything we have, even when obstacles - including ones in our own hearts - dare us to be anything but faithful. That was what happened to me. Ultimately, the fear in my own heart, of so many things, called to me to choose the easier road. Fear is powerful and seductive. As Tom Davis writes, "Fear brings all of the 'what if's' to the surface. What if I become too involved in someone else's life and I lose something from my own life? What if it costs me money? What if it costs me my life? A what if life is a paralyzed life, an imprisoned life. Fear keeps us from acting on the compassion in our hearts."

Eleanor Roosevelt said that evil triumphs when good people do nothing. Isn't that ultimately what Satan wants from us - nothing? He wants us to be lulled into the self-indulged laziness of our culture and just not take on much of anything - outside of those things that serve the god of self interest. Tom Davis of Red Letters elaborates on Roosevelt's quote in saying that "Evil triumphs when good men and women sit on the sidelines while Africa burns and crumbles. "
Recently, I found myself frustrated with a situation at church. I said to Davis "How can people be so stagnant, stale, self-indulgent and selfish?" The hard thing about making comments like that is that you then have to turn the mirror on yourself and say how am I that person? How am I being tempted to choose a life of self indulgence while Africa burns?

I think part of why we had to wait was that I needed some time to recommit my own heart to a life of service. Isn't that what mothers do? They serve. But in serving, they are blessed. Once again to quote Tom Davis, "Give away your life and you'll find life given back - but not merely given back - given back with bonus and blessing."

Our court date is just 3 days away. Would you please pray that every last detail would be taken care of so we can bring E and J home? Our prayers are also with all of you who are going to court tomorrow - on my birthday! The best gift of all would be lots of kids heading home to forever families.

6 comments:

Sparkz said...

Happy Birthday! Sorry its late... Hope your day went well.

Just checking in again. I'll be praying that your case will be HEARD and that it will go through! 2 days!!! Hopefully you'll be on your way to your girls SOON!

coffeemom said...

Praying for court, for courage and for good news! M

~Laura~ said...

Thank you for your prayers. This whole process has required a new level of TRUST that I haven't experienced before. Yes, He is faithful.

When is your courtdate?

Bethany said...

Have you heard anything?? Our agency has said that all cases for this week are not being seen...they are moving offices.
Let me know!

~Laura~ said...

no, we haven't heard that. Actually what Natalie said is they are playing it day by day on courtcases. Praying this is all straighend out by the 29th.

beemadeneu said...

wow I totally needed to hear that- thank you.