Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Girlfriend!

Lately, we have been inhabiting our favorite space called Camp Chaos. We seem to park it here a lot these days. When we are in perpetual fast forward because life is just that crazy, my blogging life disappears. We had all of the build up to Orphan Sunday, followed by a huge event at our home with 14 screaming kiddos climbing trees and having access to red paint (I'll let you envision that for yourself), and now we are moving into holiday mode. Add to that the fact that this is THE busiest time of the year for me at work and we have all been sick. However, in spite of all that is swirling about me, I could not resist sharing this latest Big Bear moment.

Last weekend, we were in the midst of getting ready for the big party at our house and Junia was being really fussy and would not finish her breakfast. She is in full-blown testing mode right now and often uses time (her ability to control when she will do something) as a vehicle to assert herself in our little power wars. Because she chose not to finish her breakfast, I picked up her plate and took it to the sink - to which my three year old daughter responded, "Hey! Me still eating that, girlfriend!" I should have put on my parent cap at that point and had a teaching moment about why we don't call Mommy "Girlfriend" but I couldn't stop laughing long enough to say much at all. It reminds me of the time that I, as a middle schooler in the Bart-Simpson-infused '80's, thought it would be a good idea to call my dad "Dude". I vividly remember him saying to me "I am your father. You will not address me as dude." I guess what goes around comes around, girlfriend.

Can you imagine what we are in for when Big Bear is in middle school? Look out...


7 comments:

Tanya said...

man oh man....too funny!!! gotta love the "sassy sass" that is toddler girls. hang on tight, girlfriend. it only gets "better". hehe :)

Kimberly said...

That is hillarious! Thanks for the laugh!

Zoe said...

Now THAT cracked me up!! You sound very busy, but it's always fun to read your posts. I hope to connect by phone with you one of these days. We are now officially on the waiting list!

Debi said...

Sounds like you have your work cut out with sassy Junia. It is hard to reason with a three year old who has discovered her voice and a means to gain control in her enviornment.
All I can say is that I will be praying for your family, girlfriend.
Hugs and prayers,
Debi

Sparkz said...

Cute. She looks so pretty in orange!

Rebecca said...

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Zoe said...

I know you're very busy over there in Camp Chaos, and this is Thanksgiving weekend, but I've given you another annoying award that you should know about :-) You can find it on my blog. Looking forward to more stories when time affords it!