Sunday, March 7, 2010

Here We Go Again...Thanks, ABC!

So did you see this that aired a few days ago? Yet another "be wary of adoption" story offered to us courtesy of our wonderful media in the name of "journalism". While this particular story does highlight some of the serious issues raised by transracial adoption (I myself highlighted an obvious one - hair care - last week), it focuses the entire story on one particular maladjusted young man and his documentary on the tensions in transracial adoption. I hate to break it to you, but there are lots of biological kids out there who feel disconnected from their birth parents and that has nothing to do with issues of race or adoption. Similarly, there are lots of very happy, healthy, and well-adjusted adults who were adopted into families by parents of a different race. I know this because several are friends of mine. If news outlets are going to at least attempt to be objective and offer something newsworthy, let's hear their stories too.

Here's a story you might have been less likely to see in the mainstream US news media, but one that is hopeful, offering a positive view of transracial adoption and a sense of context that helps viewers understand WHY transracial adoption is needed in the first place (thank you, BBC). It's all well and good to say kids should be adopted by people who share their race and culture, but the last time I checked, there were not 4 million Ethiopians - or even 4 million African-Americans - lining up to adopt the 4 million or so Ethiopian orphans currently in need of support. I find it hard to see how living on the street, in danger, terribly malnourished, and lacking any basic medical care would be better than having a white mother. But that's just me.




Matching Apple Outfits - sparkly red tights added by Big Bear, boots courtesy of Little Bear. Well played, Ladies.

6 comments:

We Are Family said...

I wish we lived closer....I would love to shafre a coke/coffee with you sometime and chat!

Tanya said...

Hey Sarah,
I tried the BBC site and it is talking about Japanese-American art... I didn't watch it all, but I may have just missed the one you were wanting to show. Let me know. This issue interests me very much.

Zoe said...

I'd love to see the BBC story, too, but it's not there now... do you recall the name of it?

Gosh those girls are cute!

Sarah and Davis said...

It's called Retracing Steps to Freedom. I updated the link, which evidently got changed since I posted this last night. Enjoy!

Tanya said...

thank you for re-posting the BBC story. wonderful!

Have you heard of "Drawn from Water"? There is a village in Africa (not sure if it's in Uganda or Ethiopia) where they drown their own children whom they consider are "mingi" or cursed. But, good things are happening and God is opening their eyes to the sin and atrocity of this practice. Check them out at www.drawnfromwater.org

This BBC segment reminded me of the need for these people to repent and stop the evil practices inflicted on their innocent children.

Tracy said...

Wow. That was an amazing story. Thanks for linking to the BBC video. :)