Tuesday, February 23, 2010

"That Friend" - Part Deux

Thanks to all who weighed in on being fellow "adoption freaks". Maybe we should start a club and try and sell people stuff.

Because I am a bit of a fixater, I have been thinking about this topic all day - particularly as it relates to respecting other people's choices. As one comment on my last post noted, "I think it comes down to being respectful of one another's decisions, not critical because they have made a different choice for their family." I guess what I have a problem with in the whole mutual respect equation is that I can respect the choices of another if I can at least understand the rationale and thinking behind the choices that have been made by that person. As a logical-to-a-fault person myself, I need to see the reasoning behind why people make the choices they do. Spell it out for me so I can see the world through your eyes and then I can move toward respecting your decision, even if it's not a choice I might make myself. As it relates to the issue of adoption, what I would like to hear from the loving, affluent (in comparison with the rest of the world, we in the US are ALL affluent) Christian families I know is why they are not adopting. I would like to hear the following case argued articulately: "We thoughtfully explored this issue and have decided we should not adopt because..." In those terms, it is - in my opinion - very difficult to make a case for why you as a Christian should not bring an orphaned child into your home. For us, it ultimately came down to that very question. We could come up with no good reasons why we should have some money in the bank, a roof over a heads and the energy and motivation to be parents and not open our home and our lives to an orphaned child. The issues that one could look to as reasons for not choosing adoption are many - "We can't afford it", "We don't think we can handle the issues that an adopted child would bring into our family", "We aren't infertile and already have children" - and the list goes on. Upon examining some of these "reasons", they start to look a bit more like excuses to me. There are some clear practical solutions that really do put adoption - thanks to numerous groups that support adoptive families both financially and emotionally - squarely within the grasp of most families. The various resources that are out there make the financial and "emotional baggage" arguments not nearly as salient. There is also a clear Biblical mandate for orphan care that has nothing to do with other personal issues like fertility or your own comfort. That nullifies another big category of "reasons". So then what it really comes down to is something more like "We just don't want an adopted child". That's the answer that, while probably most genuine, truly breaks my heart. God gives us direction to do many things that we don't necessarily want to do (or at least we don't think we want to do) and yet we do them. However, there seem to be certain things (like fighting poverty and injustice) that we think we just get a pass on and can be selective about in our obedience. I find that very troubling as the ramifications for our lack of collective action as The Church are serious indeed. And yet, it's hard to talk about any of this as an adoptive parent without seeming very self-righteous. "Look at us! Aren't we good little holy-rolling Brangelinas with our adorable blended family?" The idea that I might come off that way to others is incredibly distasteful to me given that I know God hates pride and arrogance; arrogance also never sells anyone on anything. We just talked at church this weekend about how Lent involves self-examination and confession of sins like arrogance which was defined in the sermon as "being overbearing, argumentative, opinionated and obstinate." Given that definition, I feel like I've stepped in it already with this post. What does this all look like, practically speaking? How can I respect your decision to not take up the issue of orphan care? I'm just not sure that I can. And how can I, given my own life story, say that to you in way that you will still see as coming from a place of humility, a place deep in my heart where I carry the burden of millions of children who have nothing, except maybe you as God's compassionate hands and feet? I'm not sure about that one either.

Maybe I'd better stick to trying to peddle mascara. That would be a lot simpler.

P.S. This rant is not meant to address anyone in particular. Rather, it's meant as more of general commentary on the state of how I see things. If you don't send me hate mail as a result of this post, I may even throw in a free eye liner with your next purchase.

"I find it exceedingly strange that any follower of Jesus Christ should ever have needed to ask if social involvement was their concern." John Stott

"The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried." G.K. Chesterton

11 comments:

We Are Family said...

Brave and honest post! MMMMMMMM, I love it!

Rebecca said...

I like it. I wonder why so often people don't consider adoption as Plan A. It seems like most of the people I know consider adoption as a last resort. Which makes me really sad. I've actually had people tell me "If I could adopt a child just like Eli I would do it in a heartbeat". The funny thing is, each parent feels that way about their children. They can't imagine their life without their child or children - and can't imagine being happier with any other child.

Khirsten said...

Tying respect to understanding another's opinion is a pretty tough standard, but I will try to articulate some reasons a couple might not choose adoption as a first choice.

In any discussion like this I fall back to what is God's perfect design (i.e. what was God's intent as best as we can fathom it from the Bible). I believe the plan in Genesis was clearly laid out as 1 man with 1 woman for life and they are to be fruitful and multiply. That command has never been rescinded or adjusted. Clearly under this scenario there would not be nearly the number of orphans we have today as people cast off "unwanted children" for all sorts of selfish reasons. There will always be some orphans though when parents die. In Jewish society God provided for these orphans with a family support system that was quite extensive. We see it at work in Ruth with Boaz as the kinship redeemer. My point here is only that God's plan is for man and woman to come together and become one flesh...they didn't have birth control back then so the intent was clearly to give birth and multiply not adopt as plan A. Adoption only became necessary when God's intended social structures broke down due to our sin nature. I believe that is why most people don't consider adoption as plan A...we are not wired that way which leads me to my second point.

I believe the desire to adopt is a gift or calling much in the same way singleness is described in the Bible. While it is not God's original plan, He uses it to bless and care for His children. God does tell us to take care of orphans and widows and for some people that commands leads them to adoption. In our case we support compassion children and believe that is (at this point and time) what He desires for us. I thank God for people like you who God has moved to adopt.

The challenge for you is to herald your cause without turning others off. People are not wrong for having their own children, you just want them to prayerfully consider the adoption option. if you withhold your respect for their decision to have children, you risk alienating the very people you hope to influence. Few are won over by intellectual arguments as I am sure to fail here. God will touch peoples hearts when they see the suffering and plight of the forsaken.

Sarah and Davis said...

Khirsten, thanks for your perspective on this issue. The main premise of my concern is that many Christians are not considering adoption as a part of their family planning at all. I am not saying adoption has to be a "first choice" (it may be for some, as it was for us, but I recognize that choice is more unique) nor am I saying that having birth children is "wrong". What I am saying is that people, particularly Christians, who want to take on parenthood and have been equipped to do so need to prayerfully consider including adoption as a part of their larger family planning. I'm not sure about your family, but many of the families I know have not considered it at all. And I don't think this is because of the urges for procreation that stem from God's original plan as you describe it. I think it's more that all of us - myself included - are selfish because of sin that entered the world at the fall. As a result, we do what we want to do and what works for us, not necessarily what may be best from a "love your neighbor as yourself" perspective. I agree that adoption is a calling but sometimes we must look to the need that exists as evidence of a call. I also agree with you that sponsorship is a great option and necessary piece of this whole puzzle. That's why we work trying to find sponsors for orphaned kids. However, I do think for some (not all - and not you in particular) saying "Well, we sponsor a child" is an easy way out. Yes, giving money is a wonderful help to many children in need but many of us can, and should, do more.

Christen said...

Adoption is not an afterthought to the fall. Just like Jesus/the cross was not an afterthought to the fall. God is Omnipotent (all knowing). He has not been surprised by anything humans have done. After Adam and Eve sinned, he did say well darn, guess I better come up with another plan. No. It’s all been planned out from the start. He knew we would sin. He knew there would be orphans. He knew there would be a need for adoption. And not only did he know it, but he planned it. In that sense Adoption has been God’s plan all along.

We see in scripture God’s plan of adopting Christian’s into his ‘family’, before the world was even created. “even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love, he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved.” -Ephesians 1:4-6 (ESV). Before the foundation of the world, God planned the system of adoption! Christians adopting orphans is a celebration of our own adoption in Christ. In scripture God actively uses adoption to bring about his plans (Moses was adopted by pharaoh’s daughter; Jesus Christ was adopted by Joseph! etc.). I believe adoption is still very much active parts of God’s plan today- not just an afterthought.

To hear this idea much better articulated-
John Piper explains the idea of adoption being planned from the start in a short video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgNXQ2CazUg

And also a longer audio sermon:

http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/MediaPlayer/175/Audio/


By the way, Sarah I love the blog! I’ve enjoyed following along.
-Christen

Darcy said...

I've loved reading the dialogue on this issue, as it is one that I am constantly trying to find balance on, too. Khirsten, as I thought about your points, it struck me that your first point actually supports the adoption "cause" completely. Yes, God's original building block for society was (and is) the family. Which is why just sponsoring orphans is, in my opinion, not enough for the majority of Christians. Though I am grateful that there are organizations that are filling in the gap so that these children can survive, institutional care, orphanage care, and foster care are really poor substitutes for belonging to a family. The crazy thing is is that it would take so FEW Christian families to make the orphan/foster child population disappear.

I also cringed a little bit when you compared adoption to the "gift" of singleness. Usually we are trying to encourage a single person, who really wants to be married, that singleness has some perks and isn't all bad. The same typically happens with adoption. . . we are trying to console an infertile couple that they can still be happy if they resign themselves to adopting. I believe that adoption WAS God's original plan. . . His adoption of US! So I'm always bummed to see adoption of children portrayed as anything less miraculous.

I completely agree that people won't (and shouldn't) adopt just because of an intellectual argument, but my husband and I wouldn't be foster-to-adopt parents today if it wasn't for a very honest and transparent couples' (ahem!) blog that challenged us to live out James 1:27 in a more tangible way. And for that, I am eternally grateful!

Zoe said...

I am not someone who believes we need to respect everyone else's choices. There are plenty of choices people make that I don't respect. I acknowledge their ability to make the choice in the first place, but I don't necessarily respect the actual choice that's made -- it depends on the choice and the reasons behind it.

You have me thinking about a number of things here and maybe I'll do a post on this myself...

I believe adoption is a calling, which means I don't believe God calls everyone to it. But I also believe that many more people are called to it than who hear and do it.

I also believe, based on lots of literature and from people in the field, that while orphan numbers range in the millions worldwide, the amount of adoptable orphans is far less. Among these are many older and special needs children. This requires families to take on much more, and they need to feel called and equipped to do so.

This still leaves a lot of young, healthy orphans in need of families, but not the numbers typically tossed around. Orphans who are not legally adoptable still need support, love, and assistance, and for this reason, I wish there was also more emphasis placed on sponsorships and other kinds of care.

The "normative" way of building family is to marry and procreate. The call of adoption asks us to step outside of this and meet the needs of God's little and vulnerable ones. It requires not simply the desire to do God's will, but the emotional, psychological, physical, and financial abilities to go through the process. I think we have to respect the discernment that goes into this because we all actually do this.... Why are we not adopting 10 orphans? We aren't you? Why aren't we all downsizing and living with far less so we can have a whole house full of orphans? I know people who've done that. Why aren't we, adopting special needs children? I know people who've done that.

My point is that there is always discernment that must go into this and not everyone has the same call to the same service. We must place info and options before people and then trust God with the rest since we never really know the ins and outs of his call and a person's response to that call.

I'm Catholic and throughout my years in the Catholic Church adoption and caring for children has been emphasized. Maybe because there is a great deal of focus placed on being pro-life, which includes supporting single parents, adopting, and fostering, as well as supporting efforts and organization that help families and children worldwide. Still, I'd like to see an even greater emphasis placed on adoption so even more couples -- especially younger ones -consider adoption.

Part of the reason people don't consider adoption, in my view, is that they just don't hear enough about it, they're not encouraged regularly by their leaders, and they're fearful of it. It is "outside the norm" of what they have envisioned for their life.

While caring for orphans and widows is a Biblical mandate, there are various ways to do it. Adoption is one way -- a very important way. What I hear you saying is that adoption needs to not be an afterthought or easily dismissed, but a serious, prayed-over option for every Christian family. I would agree.

I probably have more to say about this as I think more about it. I appreciate you bringing it up, and I appreciate your zeal for adoption and your heart for orphans. It is your joy, zeal, and example that will change minds and hearts.

Tanya said...

Powerful post, Sarah! You say so well what my heart feels but can never really express with words. I would love to share this post with the 6 or 7 other families we will be meeting with on Sat. to discuss an Orphan Ministry in our church. Very convicting stuff and I need to know how to articulate it lovingly but confidently. Thank you for sharing your words of wisdom (Christ's wisdom) in such a bold, but much needed, way. We are ALL called as Christians to care for orphans & widows. Adoption is one piece for sure, but the point is that once we see & hear the need, we CAN NOT turn a blind eye to it any longer. We MUST act in a significant way. The question as believers is HOW?. And then be open to continued growth and leading from God on what MORE can we do for Him....continually. And remember that the end goal is glorifying God with our lives. What will that look like? It may look different for each person, but when our eyes have seen the poverty around us, we cannot ignore it. Period. We must respond.

Praying that eyes are being opened today.

Allison said...

I too believe that adoption is a calling. We have our own biological children but have been weighing the issue of adoption as well. My husband says the same thing you do..."we have a house, we make a good living, we're good parents why not add someone who needs a home to our family." And I agree. But my heart is fearful that I may favor my bio kids over an adoptive child. (And how damaging that would be!) I would hate to think that I could do something like that, it's hard to even write!!! So here we are thinking and praying and talking to others who've gone through it before. It's definitely a process and some serious soul searching needs to go on before taking that huge step. Sometimes I almost wish we had adopted first. Anyway I feel like I am rambling a bit...but I just wanted to thank you for your honesty. You've given me some more to think about.

Sarah and Davis said...

Allison, an adopted child will be every bit "your own" just as your biological children are to you now. Just as God works a miracle in conception, He too works a miracle when He knits the hearts of strangers together and makes them a family. Adoption is ultimately a huge leap of faith and you have to trust that God will do all the work that is needed in your heart if this is where He is leading you. In that regard, you need not fear. You just need to be faithful.

Christi and Abbey said...

I don't understand the "adoption is a calling" belief...can someone explain it further? Somehow it reminds me of "am I my brother's keeper?" and the the story of the Good Samaritan. Is adoption really a special calling or is caring for the orphans and widows something we've all already been called to as believers?