Sunday, February 21, 2010

"That Friend"

I was recently asked by a friend if I was still going to be excited for her and help with her baby shower if and when she gets pregnant as she is hoping to do soon. She was joking but it made me think about how I am perceived by those around me, particularly those in the mom community. It made me wonder if I have become "that friend". You know, the friend who sells one of the many home-business-based products on the market, like the new girl you met a church who you thought you really clicked with until she started leaving you lots of messages about the various sales she was having on eye liner and mascara, messages that made you wonder if she really clicked with you as a person or as a customer. The issue isn't so much what you sell, it's how people think you view your relationships with them. I wonder if my friends think of me as viewing every one of them as potential "target", a sale to be made for the cause of adoption, especially now that we have moved beyond our own personal adoption into doing orphan advocacy work in our community (more on that later). One side of me hopes that isn't the case as I would never want to push how I have chosen to build my family on anyone else. That side fully recognizes that God calls all of us to unique vocations and we should be respectful of the different areas where our unique gifts and experiences equip us to serve. The other side of me knows that in my heart when I meet loving families, I am always thinking about how an orphaned child would love to find a home in any of their homes. I can see the faces of orphaned kids I met in Ethiopia who could easily become the children of many people I know and love. That's the side of me that isn't so worried about what others think and wants to stand on the corner and bang my drum as loud as I can for the cause of the orphaned child until someone listens. "Yes, I've chosen this for my family, and frankly, you should too if you are about God's heart for the poor, the lonely, the destitute and the needy," that fanatical side of me feels like shouting. So I guess that's what my experience with adoption has made me - a bit of a fanatic. I will be happy (and throw showers) for my friends who give birth to their second, third and fourth children because I love them and rejoice in their happiness but part of me will be sad that one (or more!) of those coveted spots in an amazing family headed by caring, creative, intelligent, Christ-loving parents was not given to a child who had nobody, nothing and nowhere to call home. If you have the energy and the resources to parent second, third and fourth children, I just don't understand why it isn't a given that at least one of them is an adopted child. I wish I could understand why not everyone "gets" adoption but I don't and that's hard. Since I may already be more of a weirdo than I realized, maybe I should start selling mascara too.


14 comments:

emily said...

I am "that friend" for sure to some people. We were going to a birthday party one night and I called a friend to ask what she thought we should wear and she said, "well, you and Moody probably shouldn't wear jeans and one of your Africa t-shirts!" Hilarious and we did just because.........

Our eyes have been opened to something and we can't NOT advocate can we??

Meggan Lambesis said...

Definitely can relate---I have really struggled with this role as "that friend"---probably because, like you said, you do end up being the weirdo that no one gets :)

So, don't worry, you're not the only one with such "radical" opinions about how to create a family. And, I agree with Emily, now that we have seen, we can't not advocate for these kids.

Raya Carlisle said...

I know your heart and have actually been quite inspired by you - so don't worry, if you were "that friend" I would have stopped returning your calls by now. Ha.

Unknown said...

I think it comes down to being respectful of one another's decisions, not critical because they have made different choices for their family. I say as a whole. Not being critical of you whatsoever.

drbirdy50 said...

Your post is something we just discussed recently. Years ago, when we were in the midst of adopting, we suddenly found ourselves without the friendship of a special couple. We hadn't pushed adoption on them; they were building their family the usual way. Its still troubling to us that their friendship went away because of their prejudices against adoption. There is little argument this was the reason because another couple in our group lost the friendship of the same couple when they adopted. How sad for them to have such hard hearts they cannot wish the best for children without families.

We Are Family said...

I feel ya! We are that family ;)

Wes and Layla said...

I totally understand this, and I often wonder why other people don't "get" adoption like we do. It just seems like such a natural thing for us to do. I guess we will become "that family," too. I proudly accept that label.

Jodi Queenan Artist copyright 2011 said...

I totally get you.... I'm thankful for you blog... when I saw your images on the blog... I thought... okay... I get this woman!!! I'm that friend.... Yes... it is me too...

Tanya said...

right there with ya'll! but we have a job to do with the limited amount of time we have on this earth, and God has called you, and me and many others to be the mouthpiece for those that have no voice. we are to be in the world but not of the world. yes, respectful of others who don't quite "get it", but hopeful that we have planted a seed and that SOMEDAY they WILL get it!! great post, friend!

Leslie said...

You aren't "that friend". That friend invites you to parties and you have no choice but to buy and if you don't want to you feel pressured and uncomfortable. Adoption isn't something anyone has to "buy" - just support (with prayer not always finances) and be happy with and for you. I'm stuggling with this now too as I have a "that friend who give parties". We are trying to save for our adoption and I've been invited to an untold number of her parties. I just don't want to go anymore I don't need or want the stuff but there is that social pressure. I feel like I'm her employer as much money as I've wasted buying things I didn't need.

I'm in the processing of designing a pendant for an adoption fundraiser but I won't be a "that friend" (I hope) - no parties here.

Keep supporting your cause a child needing a home is so far beyond jewlery or mascara.

Rebecca said...

This post kind of made me laugh :) I feel the same way - about myself. I feel like I'm always talking about adoption - probably because its one of the most important topics to me! I say, preach on sister!

mama becca said...

oh girl. I just "get it." I know. Sometimes we need to know that others out there "get us." and you DO have that community. Gosh, sometimes I wish we were all sitting around in person, not through computer screens!
Sending you all my support! :)
becca

CHEPAC said...

i loved reading this! i am definitely now 'that friend'..we had no idea of all the politics involved when we wstarted this adoption process. We have three awesome bio kids, and we have been questioned to our face, "WHY would you adopt? I just don't get it" etc etc...We have seen friendships that we thought were solid fall away-and we know it is bc of our choice to adopt..wierd. I don't get THEM...how can we not, at least in some way, support adoption? I really believe THIS is true religion, to love and serve the needy..hmm..it's nice to 'connect' with a group of people who DO get it.
oops, signed in as chepac..actually darc at www.feetontheroad.blogspot.com

Christi and Abbey said...

Have to say, someone in my church encouraged me to adopt and you could have knocked me over with a feather when they brought it up. I had always wanted to be a mom but never considered adopting as a single person. The most radical change came over my life and I can in no way keep silent about the incredible gift of my daughter. I believe that lives will be changed as a result of of witnessing what is happening in your family.