Sunday, May 2, 2010

Orphan Summit Was Fabulous!

We just got back from the national Christian Alliance for Orphans Summit in Minneapolis. It was truly an amazing experience. To be with over 1000 people from 37 states who are as passionate about orphans as we are was an absolute treat. There is so much to say about all that we learned at the conference. I feel like my head is going to explode with all of the ideas I have for our orphan ministry. We also came home very tired after two very full dawn-to-dusk days of seminars. (Can you tell how wiped out we are in this pic from day 1 of the conference? We had arrived at 1am the night before only to have to be at the conference at 7:30am the next day. With the time difference that was 5:30am for us. Ouch.)




Sadly, I also arrived home today to 100 term papers awaiting my attention so for now, all I have time for is some fun pics of the people who made this such a special weekend for Davis and me. Here goes:


I finally got to meet my blogger friend Brandi who works for Hopechest. What a joy to meet this ebullient girl in person! I only wish we'd had more time to hang out.



We also got to meet Christina, another blogger friend and fellow Gladney mama. We were suppossed to be travel buddies to Ethiopia but our court delays meant that she got to pick up little Nate almost two months before we got to go get our girls. Christina and Jeremy were kind enough to take care packages to the Little Ladies and even sent us video of them during that difficult wait time. We got to spend a wonderful lunch together brainstorming about our orphan ministries. I also got to meet a few of her cool Texas friends. Very fun.


We even got to catch up with some friends from our own little corner of the world (about 30 minutes north of us) who were also at the conference. Jenna and I have known each other since college and are now both adoptive moms. We also went to college with the the President of the Christian Alliance for Orphans. What a small world! How amazing to be a part of how God is moving nationwide on behalf of orphans.



Another highlight from our trip was getting to stay with one of Davis' best friends from college and his adorable family. Jason and Heather Jo (HJ, you made the blog!) just happened to live only 2 miles from the church where the conference was held. We so enjoyed spending time with these dear friends who are also adoptive parents. It was inspiring to watch them pouring the love of Jesus day in and day out into their precious 11 year old daughter who joined their family of four (they also have two biological daughters ages 4 and 6) from foster care just 2 years ago. Challenges remain but they are so faithful. It was an honor to watch them parent. They also fed us really well - thanks guys! Davis also got to relive the glory days with a night out with Jason, Heather Jo and Jason and Elle, another couple he has known since college. A great dinner on the town followed by much laughter around a firepit on a balmy night. What could be better?




For all the fun we had during almost 4 kid-free days, nothing beat seeing my beautiful daughters run through the door tonight after their long stay at Gammy and Poppa's house. Being away from your children reminds you how much you absolutely adore them. I look at them and sometimes can't even believe how much I love them. My girls have taken over my heart and something is just missing when they aren't around. It's good to be home.

5 comments:

Zoe said...

Wow, sounds like an inspiring, informative, edifying, amazing time!

BB said...

I'm coming next year! Sounds awesome. Can't wait to hear these ideas!

Brandi said...

Love you sweet friend! Love that picture of us too - dang we're cute :-) haha

B

Tanya said...

slightly jealous here, but maybe we'll be there next year! looks like it was a very rich time! we hope to be following in your footsteps someday here in Utah. you are an inspiration to me.....keep up the great work!

Unknown said...

I'm so exited you had such a great time! And how fun to see Jenna! I had no idea she had adopted!