Sunday, May 30, 2010

The Princess and the Queen

This past week, I was getting Junia out of her carseat and said something in passing about her being my princess. I don't often use that language but for some reason it fit in that moment. She looked at me, laughed and said very frankly, "No, Mommy. You're the princess; I'm the queen." And so it begins. The story of mothers and daughters negotiating for who will be Queen in the castle. I laughed and told her "Honey, Mommy is ALWAYS The Queen." It has now become a bit of a running joke where she tells me in the middle of whatever we are doing "Mommy, you're the princess and I'm the queen!". This is followed by an outburst of giggles stemming from her sheer delight with herself and her fine joke. Shall I remind her that there is certain to be another claim to the throne from her little sister who is bringing up the rear?

In just a few more days, Her Mini-Majesty, the Princess/Queen, will celebrate her fourth birthday with a rootin'-tootin' cowgirl party complete with two miniature ponies for her and her little cowboy and cowgirl friends from church to ride on. Yes, the ponies are a bit much but I just couldn't help myself when I found out we could have real ponies in our backyard. It sounded like WAY too much fun for a little girl who loves horses and just two years ago didn't even have enough to eat. We are so blessed to have her in our lives, even if she is already engineering a coup d'etat.

4 comments:

Zoe said...

LOL

Just Believing said...

Love that story! Maybe she could be queen for the day at her party ;)

Which by the way sounds marvelous!!!!

We Are Family said...

Very cute!
The ponies sound like a very fun birthday party to me :) It will be one of those memories that last a lifetime.

Zoe said...

By the way, I grew up in Canada, a Commonwealth country, and the Queen Mother takes even more high honors than the Queen. So there you go... Even if Big Bear is a Queen, you will always be the Queen Mother! :-)