Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Shoes for Orphan Souls

My friend Jenna turned me on to this amazing ministry called Shoes for Orphan Souls. I cried reading one article on their website about how the feet of orphans often tell their story - they are dirty, cracked, swollen, tired. The website talked about a recent trip to a village in Ethiopia where almost none of the children had shoes. What an amazing opportunity to minister to those in need by providing such a basic necessity. Jenna asked me if she and her moms' group could help collect shoes to send with us to Ethiopia. I'm not sure how that will work (if at all) given the ridiculous bag restrictions when flying these days. I need to look into that. It would be so cool to bring suitcases full of shoes with us. It's funny that this summer (before I ever heard of this shoe ministry) I bought a bunch of kids shoes on clearance thinking they might be useful as a part of the humanitarian aid we are bringing with us. God must know what His kids need. Check out their great website!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I could cry sitting at my desk in my office... my kids have a ridiculous- i mean ridiculous amount of shoes. I am actually a little embarassed. Shoes are so important for foot safety, health and proper posture.

I am going to package up all the shoes I have been holding to hand down to someone and send them to this organization- if they will take them. If not then I will send them to you for your newly rehomed orphans. They are- of course- not very worn out... which makes me even more convicted.