Saturday, August 29, 2009

The Blind Side

Last night, we enjoyed a much-needed date night after what had been a LONG week with the little ladies. I went back to work only to sprain my ankle while Davis was away on his business trip during my first two days back in the office last week. That made for an interesting couple of limpy days. Thankfully, I didn't break our laptop as I careened down the stairs and launched our computer out of my hands and into the air. On top of that, we are also knee-deep in a strong-willed, teething (4 molars coming in - ouch!) almost-two year old ("No, Mommy! No, Mommy! NOOOOOOOOOO!). I'll let you imagine for yourself the tranquility with which we find ourselves surrounded these days. But, I digress. Back to the date night. The movie we went to see ended up being so-so but I actually had to keep from crying audibly at the preview for this movie. While I've never been a huge Sandra Bullock fan, we will definitely go see The Blind Side.



Tomorrow, we head south for a Gladney Family Reunion in our region. We are really looking forward to meeting 22 other Ethiopian kids - and their parents! - for a day at the beach. Also on the horizon as we look to next week is Junia's first day at preschool. She is SO excited and talks non-stop about how she is going to school. One night last week, I got her all snuggled into bed, sang our bedtime song, prayed and kissed her goodnight. As I hugged her and got ready to leave, she said in a loud whisper, "Mommy, Junia go to school?" wondering if school started the next day. I told her what I have been telling her all week, "Not tomorrow, but soon!" It's absolutely precious to see how excited she is. Much to my amazement today, out of the blue she counted to seven and finished almost the entire alphabet song. Davis told me today that he counts with her all the time. I hadn't even realized he was doing that. Go, Superdaddy! I have no doubt that she will adapt very well into her new little preschool community.

The funny thing is that Junia is so much like me. There is a very good chance she will be a nerd like me who loves going to school. She is also very neat and exhibits a lot of my first-born child tendencies. Case in point: One day I found her dusting shelves in my bedroom - without any prompting! She looked at me very matter-of-factly when asked what she was doing and told me "Junia cleaning." It's amazing how a child who doesn't share your genes can be so much like you. Nature or nuture? I'm not sure but I'm sure not going to complain if God gave me a child that wants to clean up messes! Did I mention that she loves to play dress up? If you've been in my closet, you know that too qualifies her to be my child!


2 comments:

Zoe said...

Oh boy, you got me crying now, too!

Adorable pics. Hope you had a fantastic reunion with the Gladney families!

Rebecca said...

I cried at that trailer too and am also not a huge Sandra Bullock fan. I went to see Julie & Julia, which I recommend. SO happy that the girls are settling in so well and that you had a fun Gladney reunion.

Best wishes,
Rebecca