Sunday, August 2, 2009

A Sad Picture



Here's a sad picture that I took today. These are all shoes that the Little Ladies have already outgrown - in just 4 months! Eden's feet are now the same size as Junia's. Needless to say, I've taken to buying most of their shoes at Marshall's now (rather than Nordstrom!) knowing they will outgrow them in a month or two. This kind of pragmatism also serves as proof of my Real Mommy status. It was sad to see the little shoes they came home in knowing they are WAY too small now. It's a reminder of how quickly they will grow up. It's almost as if you can never take too many pictures because in what feels like the blink of an eye, that particular child is gone replaced by a bigger, wiser, older child. I've heard it said that kids make you feel young again. I'm not sure I agree with that one. I think kids, in a lot of ways, make you feel old. Perhaps this is because you live in a perpetual state of exhaustion (by the way, please don't tell mothers of toddlers they look tired - believe me when I say, we know that already). Perhaps it is because you drive around with multiple car seats in your backseat and, let's face it, there is just nothing sexy about that. Or maybe it's just because they serve as visual reminders that time is passing so quickly. Perhaps it is our children that remind us to live each day to its fullest knowing that each day can only be lived once and then it is gone forever. Much like childhood.

2 comments:

bekah said...

I love See Kai Run shoes!!!

Anonymous said...

Sweet shot! It's just so amazing how fast kids grow. And these little ones from Ethiopia seem to REALLY grow quickly once they get home to all the food and love and medical care.