Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Why I May Resign


The brave JuneBug survived her big dental procedure today. Luckily, she ended up not needing a root canal. Our wonderful dentist was able to dig out all the decay and fill the tooth without having to go as deep as the root. I will say, though, that if I have to be the one to take this sweet child to one more event that ends up causing her pain and leaves her screaming and crying (shots, absesses that need to be lanced, skin infections that have to be cut out), I may just resign. If being a mom means you protect your child from suffering to the best of your ability, it's hard not to feel derelict in your duty on days like these. This is one of the less-than-fun side effects of a having a child whose earliest moments in life were characterized by malnutrition, illness and want. Once again I marvel at the courageous and bright spirit of my little girl who has learned from life how to be a fighter - even at 3 1/2.

8 comments:

Meggan Lambesis said...

These kids truly are the most courageous. Hooray for not needing a root canal!

Unknown said...

I just started reading your blog a few months ago.....such beautiful girls. Our 3rd child is from Guat. and we are praying about starting an ET adoption. Our Guat son has to have some dental surgery at the beginning of Feb for some tooth decay (I guess this is just part of international adoption), but I am just a nervous wreck about it. We've been through a lot medically with our first bio kid, so not sure why I am so worried about this dental stuff, but I am. :) Would you mind e-mailing me more details about your daughter's procedure (gas used, recovery etc.)? You can e-mail me at mycalcrew@gmail.com. Thanks so much! Glad she did so well and that is behind you.

Jenny C.
calcrew.wordpress.com

We Are Family said...

I'm a dental assistant, well used to be part time until our daughter came home from Guatemala. I am so glad she didn't have to have a root canal too! But I want you to know it is COMMON for kids to have these issues :) My kids have them too. Don't resign :) You are a great mommy. I can tell! I love your blog. Blessings!

Sparkz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sparkz said...

She is so brave, and you too! ;) Its awful when something is happening to your child. K hit his head BAD once and I was so mad for letting it happen although I couldn't have done anything as fast as it happened. Just think of yourself as super mom for preventing it from becoming worse!

I am glad it is done and over with and that it wasn't as bad as it could have been!

Christy and Drew said...

Poor Junia. I am sure it is heartbreaking to have to see your daughter go through that due to the conditions she was raised in! Praise God that she is out of that situation and into your hands! What a blessing that you get to protect her from any future harm!

Debi said...

AWE.. Poor sweet June Bug. What a little trooper!! Glad she was spared the root canal.
A hard thing about being a mom is that you protect and also make hard choices that you know will be the best for your child in the long run. Your girls are so blessed to have you and Davis for parents.
Love and hugs and prayers,
Debi

The Busters said...

Hi Sarah. My name is Emily and my husband and I are currently in process of adopting our first child from Ethiopia through Gladney. I have been reading your blog for a while now and just love it. I just read your post from the 19th about Haiti and you seriously put to words so much of the thoughts that have been running through my mind about the children in Haiti. Would you mind if I linked your post on my blog? Thank you so much for speaking on the issue so eloquently!